Follow Find us on Facebook a link to our facebook Find us on Twitter a link to our twitter Listen to our Podcastsa link to listen to our podcast Spotlight on Local Newsa link to go to our news page Contact Us

Elections & Vacancies

a drawing of 3 people stood next to eachother

By Election Result 2022 Penrith North Ward

Use the underlined link to view the results:


Councillor Gwyn Clark was duly elected unopposed.

By Election Result 2022 Penrith East Ward

Use the underlined link to view the results:


Councillor Mark Rudhall was duly elected unopposed.

Elections 2019

Penrith is split into six wards and there are 15 Councillors.

Scheduled elections took place on Thursday 2nd May 2019, with the following results:

 Use this link to open the contested results

Use this link to open the uncontested results   

Ward Representatives

Below is a table explaining which Councillors represent each of the six wards. This may not be accessible to a screen reader.

Name of Ward Number of Councillors Who
Penrith North 4 Cllr. Paul Donald

Cllr. Scott Jackson

Cllr. Ron Kenyon

Cllr. Mike Shepherd



Penrith South 2 Cllr. Roger Burgin

Cllr. Margaret Clark


Penrith East 3 Cllr. Nicola Hawkins

Cllr. Mark Rudhall

Cllr. Charlie Shepherd


Penrith West 3 Cllr. Jonathan Davies

Cllr. David Knaggs

Cllr. Hilary Snell


Penrith Pategill 1  

Cllr. Valerie Bowen


Penrith Carleton 2  

Cllr. Doug Lawson

Cllr. Deb Holden

Please find the Full Results Notice of the results of the By-Election held on  Thursday, 6 May 2021 for the Penrith Pategill parish ward.

Valerie Bowen (known as Val), Liberal Democrat, was duly elected with 183 votes

Ward Maps

Below is a list of maps to showing the boundaries of each parish ward.

Use this link to open a PDF map of Penrith East

Use this link to open a PDF map of Penrith West

Use this link to open a PDF map of Penrith North

Use this link to open a PDF map of Penrith South

Use this link to open a PDF map of Penrith Pategill

Use this link to open a PDF map of Penrith Carleton

Your Council Representatives

Below are two links to help you find your district and county councillors.

Use this link to find your District Councillor 

Use this link to find your Cumbria County Councillors 

Local Members of Parliament (MP)

Eden is in the Penrith and the Border Constituency.

Neil Hudson is the MP for Penrith and The Border Constituency.

Below are links to find the contact details of Members of Parliament.

Use this link to visit the Penrith and The Border Conservative party website 

Use this link to search for other MPs on the Parliament UK website

How to become a Town Councillor

You don’t have to be interested in politics or be a member of a political group to become a town councillor. It takes all sorts of individuals from different parts of the community, of different ages with different life experiences to become a councillor.

As a councillor, you can become a voice for your community and affect real change. Councillors are community leaders and represent the aspirations of the public that they serve and are the most local part of our democratic system and are closest to the public.

The Town Council looks to blend a variety of skills and backgrounds in its members. No special qualifications are needed and the most important thing is to have a keen interest in Penrith and be prepared to play an active part in the Council’s work.

Training and guidance from Council officers will be available throughout your term of office.

The Council is acutely aware that councillors are volunteers and will endeavour not to have unrealistic expectations and to manage councillors time effectively.  However, councillors are expected to attend bi monthly Full Council meetings plus regular meetings of committees to which they are members.

A candidate for a Town Council is qualified to become a Town Councillor, if:

  • he or she is a British citizen, Commonwealth citizen, citizen of the Irish Republic or a citizen of another European Union State.
  • has attained 18 years of age, and
  • is either in the register of electors for Penrith or has during the whole of the preceding twelve months, occupied land as owner or tenant, had a principal place of work there, or resided in or within 4.8 kilometres or 3 miles of it.

You cannot stand for election if you:

  • are the subject of a bankruptcy restriction order or interim order.
  • have, within 5 years before the day of the election, been convicted in the UK of any offence and have had a prison sentence (whether suspended or not) for a period of over 3 months without the option of a fine.
  • work for the council you want to become a councillor for.

Useful Information

Listed below are publications provided by the National Association of Local Councils and The Local Government Association, that contain more information about becomeing a councillor.

Use this link to open a PDF book called It Takes Allsorts

Use this link to open a PDF book called All About Local Councils

Use this link to open a book called Be-a-councillor

What to do if you cannot access parts of this page

We want to ensure that everyone can access our information and we are working to improve our website. Please contact us if you need information on this website in a different format like accessible PDF, large print, easy read or in an alternative format.

We will consider your request and respond to you in ten working days.